Monday, November 16, 2020

Wild Rice Time Loop

Another food related post - sorry about that.  It comes with the territory, I'm afraid.  Last night I decided to make a large batch of wild rice soup.  Enough for dinner, and enough for freezing.  


When I was young my Mom enjoyed shopping at Byerly's, a fancy grocery store in St. Paul.  She didn't go often, since it was kinda spendy and a bit of a drive.  Byerly's had a restaurant inside the store where we ate sometimes.  I would usually get their infamous wild rice soup, and would ask Mom to buy a few frozen packages to eat at home.

At some point I found a copycat recipe online which comes very close to the original.  Sometimes I substitute chicken for the ham.  This time I was fortunate to have some wild rice harvested by the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.  I had been given the rice as a gracious gift from a group of indigenous students visiting the park a few years ago.  

I love wild rice.  I always try to use rice harvested from lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin - it's better tasting and has better nutrients than cultivated and farmed 'wild' rice.  Wild rice is extremely important to the history and culture of the Ojibwe people.

The recipe above, as you can see, calls for '2 cups wild rice, cooked'.  The comma is important - it implies that the measurement should be made before cooking.  I wanted to double the recipe, so I poured four cups of wild rice into a pot of boiling water. 

And got way more than I expected.  I should have looked online for the original recipe, which shows that two cups of cooked wild rice are needed.  

I need to make a note on my recipe, so I don't make the mistake again.  Actually, I should have made a note on the recipe after the LAST time I made it, so I wouldn't have made the mistake THIS time.  

Wild Rice Time Loop - If I go back in time to change the recipe last time, I wouldn't cook too much rice this time, which means I wouldn't need to go back in time to change the recipe, which means I would cook too much rice this time, which means I would need to go back in time to change the recipe so I wouldn't cook too much rice, which means ...

What to do with a bunch of extra wild rice?  Tonight I used some to make a big batch of chicken wild rice salad.  

Unfortunately, I discovered after making it that neither G nor B like chicken salad.  Sigh.  Looks like Hubby and I will be eating wild rice, in soup and salad form, for awhile.  Which is just fine.

Or, I could go back in time to this afternoon to give myself the extra wild rice salad so that I wouldn't have to make it, which means that I wouldn't make it, which means that I wouldn't have extra to bring back in time, which means ...

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious!!! Btw, I LOVE wild rice! I need tour chicken salad recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I just stole a recipe off the internet, but I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete