Friday, November 6, 2020

Consumer Report - Kitchenaid mixer

You'll notice from the last photo in the last post a red stand mixer.  This is a Kitchenaid mixer that we bought a few years ago, to replace the old white Kitchenaid my sister had given us as a hand-me-down many years ago.

Photo of a similar older Kitchenaid.

I loved that old white mixer.  It was reliable and sturdy and served us well.  However, the engine started making grinding sounds.  So when hubby found another Kitchenaid stand mixer on sale, we splurged and bought a new one.  I brought the old one down to our storage room in the basement, thanking it for its years of dedicated service.  I was officially retired, and could enjoy its remaining days with the boxes of other kitchen do-hickies that I might use someday and don't want to throw away.  Yes, I am a bit of a hoarder.

The new red mixer.

So, imagine my surprise to discover that this new and beautiful, highly rated mixer from a reputable long-standing company is a COMPLETE PIECE OF CRAP.  Seriously.  The engine is almost louder than our old one.  The blades don't even get close to scraping the sides of the bowl.  Oftentimes it won't even start moving unless you turn it up to level 3 or 4.  And worst of all, the design is total shite.  

Whoever decided that it would be a good idea to have the mixing bowl lift up and down, rather than have the top of the mixer tilt up and down, needs to be fired.  And flogged.  It's extremely difficult to attach and detach the bowl from the lifting frame.  And it's extremely difficult to attach and detach the paddle, even when the bowl is at the lower position.  Unfortunately I waited too long to decide I hated it to return it on warranty.  I swear every time I have to use the thing.

So, if you happen to be in our back yard and hear a loud engine sound and me swearing like a sailor, duck. You may see a red stand mixer flying out the kitchen window.  I'm this close to tossing the thing, and bringing the old white one out of storage.  And saving our pennies for a new, older style mixer when next they go on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment