Friday, November 20, 2020

Rainbow eggs

My hens can lay a rainbow.  Anyone remember that song?  Well, not the chicken version, but the original - 'Sing a Rainbow.'  It's a song for kids -- a fine song, but nothing special.  However, it is a massive ear worm.  Get it stuck in your head and it'll be there for hours.  You're welcome.

That song was on a record called 'Junior Hits' that my family had.  This was in the 1970's, before audio tapes and CDs came onto the scene.  It was a fantastic record, well-loved by my older siblings and I.  It featured a variety of fun kid songs, including 'Jake the Peg,' 'The Court of King Caractacus,' and 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down' by Rolf Harris.  It also had a song my mom loved called 'Two Little Boys.'  It made her cry every time she heard it.

Anyway, my hens can indeed lay a rainbow.  Different breeds of hens will lay different colored eggs.  The green egg on the far left is laid by my Ameracauna hens.  The white by my California whites, the middle browns by any number of hens (I can't tell what breeds exactly), and the dark brown by my welsummers.  

My new hens, the ones I bought as day-old chicks this spring, have started laying (finally).  They lay smaller eggs, called pullet eggs, for the first few months.  Sometimes there will be color splotches (see egg #5 above) on the shells too.  That's totally normal.  I just love the variety, the rainbow of colors.

Argh.  The worm has indeed burrowed into my brain.  They say the best way to get a song unstuck is to listen to it through to its end.  We'll see if it works.

1 comment:

  1. My very favorite record...Tie Me Kangeroo Down is stuck in my head now...

    ReplyDelete