Sunday, November 22, 2020

Games people play

We're a game-playing family.  Always have been. Board games, card games, video games, role playing games, dice games, we love them all.  And play them all, even (especially) during the pandemic.  Once a week we play Terraria online with O in Mankato and my nephew J.  On weekends we play Civilization online with Hubby's brother and father.  Hubby and the boys even play the 'I've lost the game' game (google it if you're confused), which I refuse to do.  To quote War Games, the only winning move is not to play.  Spoiler alert!

 

For the last umpteen years our family has spent the day after Thanksgiving with Hubby's family, snacking on bacon-wrapped everything and playing board games.  Our favorites include Settlers of Catan, Risk, Empire Builder, Ticket to Ride, Sequence, and many others.

Hubby's bro, sis-in-laws, and us playing Catan in 2015.

This year we will continue this tradition at home, using our vast collection of board games we've collected over the years.  We probably have over a hundred of them, from the 1950s Diplomacy to modern Apples to Apples.  And we have multiple decks of playing cards for our rambunctious games of multiple solitaire.  Multiple solitaire has been a staple in my family for decades.

Xmas 2008.  My mom, nieces, brother, younger sister.

When my parents were still alive, and I was still living near St. Paul, my younger sister and I would spend several evenings a week playing cards with Mom and Dad.  We'd play three different games -- 500, Hearts, and Liverpool.  Those were lovely times.  We'd play at the large oak table in their kitchen, laughing and teasing and guilting Dad into making us milkshakes.  

And this Thanksgiving my family will sit around that same oak table in my kitchen, laughing and teasing and playing games with each other.

2 comments: