Thursday, February 18, 2021

Sprouts

My germination tests continue.  I checked the seeds a few days ago, and will check again tonight.  It's such a thrill to see the seed coats splitting open and tiny baby roots growing out.  

Zucchini seeds

I feel a bit guilty not using the sprouts, but there's no way I can save them for the garden.  It's too early - they'd grow too big and get too leggy before I had a chance to plant them outside.  I could plant the onions into pots, but I have enough started already.

Beet seeds

I could eat some of the vege sprouts - people pay big money for bean or alfalfa sprouts at the store.  It's way cheaper just to buy seeds and sprout them yourself.

Bean seeds

I did take the zinnias and onions and put them into some dirt, just to watch them grow.  I can cut the onion leaves off for chives if I really want to use them.

Cosmos seeds

We're supposed to be in a warming trend this week -- it will be 40 degrees by Monday.  We haven't been above freezing since February 3.  Bring on the sun!

2 comments:

  1. BEETS???!!! Could you possibly be intending to do some canning with these???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly, if I can get them to grow this year. Last year was a beet bust!

    ReplyDelete