Sunday, February 14, 2021

All things seed

The past few days have been all things seed.  

First, I updated my seed inventory spreadsheet.  I went through all of my totes of seeds (yes, I have totes), through each individual container in the totes, through each packet or jar in the containers, and confirmed varieties and quantities.  Then I deleted the seeds that were planted last year and the ones I tossed after testing badly in my 2020 germination tests.

I have one okra packet as a 'free gift' from an order. 

Next, I started the 2021 tests.  I chose the varieties for testing and dug them out of the totes.  Using my tried-and-true process described in my old blog here, I started about 30 seeds and filled out my chart.  In a few days I'll check on them to see if any have sprouted, and then a few days after that, and so on.

Lastly, I'm deciding what (if any) new seeds I need to purchase this year.  I've already made my Seed Savers Exchange order - I made that one in December to use a 20% off coupon I had.  I've still got a Johnny's and Fedco gift card from Xmas burning a hole in my pocket.  I also like ordering from Sand Hill Preservation Center.  But I may not need to get anything else right now.  As you can see, I've got a pretty large seed stash as it is.  And I want to use up some older seed (and save more seed from those plants!) before the germ rates get too low.

Seed germination is a wildly variable thing.  It depends a lot on the species and the storage conditions.  And the timing of the seed harvest.  Sometimes I save seed one year and test it the next, to discover that I've got a really low germination rate.  Apparently the seed I harvested wasn't mature enough.  Other times I've tested really old seed, expecting a really low germ rate, but am pleasantly surprised.  I have radish, flint corn and tomato seeds saved from 2005 that still test at 100%.

Packets for the 2021 germ testing.

This afternoon (or tomorrow) I'll start my onion seeds.  I'm growing the Yellow of Parma seeds that I harvested last year.  Unless they test badly, of course, in which case I'll use something else from my stash.  I'm also trying bunching onions for the first time this spring.  I like to try a few new things every year.

It's 13 below zero right now (1 pm), with a windchill of 35 below.  A perfect time to be indoors playing with seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment