Thursday, February 18, 2021

Cake and custard

Hubby played Egg Fairy again on Tuesday, delivering 6 dozen eggs to friends around town.  Then I took another dozen and made an angel food cake.

It came out pretty well.  Not picture perfect, but very tasty none-the-less.  I didn't use cake flour, so it's a bit more dense than normal.


I enjoy sliced bananas and a bit of chocolate sauce on top of my cake.  The boys like lots of chocolate and fsssht, which is what we call Reddi-wip.  Hubby eats his very thin sliver of cake plain, without adornment.  Stupid borderline diabetes.

Since angel food cake uses only egg whites, we had a bunch of egg yolks left over.  Hubby decided to make a custard with them to try on his morning oatmeal.  We make custard fairly regularly, whenever we make banana cream pie or sticky toffee pudding.  It's pretty easy.  For the non-adventurous cooks out there, Bird's makes a good custard powder substitute.  Just add milk. 

Maybe I'll have my next piece of angel food cake with custard on top, uniting the egg whites and egg yolks once again.  Or maybe that would be like mixing matter and anti-matter together.  I'll let you know if I rip a hole in the fabric of time and space.

2 comments: