Monday, December 7, 2020

Vacation planning

I've been asking my family where they would like to go on vacation next year.  2020 was obviously a no-go for trips anywhere, so like everyone else we're a little antsy to get outta Dodge.  I've got a serious chunk of vacation time building up at work, and if I don't use it I lose it.

B has voted for Wisconsin Dells.  G seconds the Dells, and adds another vote for Des Moines.  We've been to Des Moines several times and really like the town.  It's a nice sized city - not too big and not too small.   The main reason we like Des Moines is Living History Farms, one of my favorite places on earth.  

Our visit to LHF in 2014.

LHF is a living history museum that shows how the native Ioway and early European farmers lived in that area in the 1800s.  Plus they have a pioneer village showing early town life and industries, such as blacksmithing and broom-making.  Heritage farming and livestock and cooking and living and I'm in heaven. 

Washing dishes at LHF.  Much more fun than dishes at home.

There's a number of restaurants we like in Des Moines, including a fab Ecuadorian place called Mi Patria.  Des Moines is also pretty close to Pella, with Jaarsma Bakery and their oh-so-scrummy Dutch Letters.  In the mid 1970's my family lived in Knoxville, Iowa which is right next to Pella so I have very fond memories of those almond flavored delights.

I made them once.  Much easier to drive to Pella.

We will likely combine the Des Moines and Pella trip with a jaunt to Burlington where Hubby's Pa lives.  Pa and his partner P have a lovely home and are wonderful hosts.  We could even meander further east toward Indianapolis and visit another living history museum called Connor Prairie.  My Dad, Hubby and I visited there a number of years ago and I'd love to go back.

But the ultimate goal of this midwestern road trip would have to be Columbus Ohio.  Why Columbus, you ask?  Because of THIS:

Columbis is the home of the original, and only remaining York Steak House.  York Steak House used to be a chain of restaurants in the 1960s and 70s, and there was one in Maplewood Mall near my childhood home in White Bear Lake, MN.  My parents would take us there for dinner several times a year.  I distinctly remember their sirloin tips and pinwheel buns.  Sooo sooo good.  On a nostalgic whim I googled 'York Steak House' a few days ago and was shocked beyond belief to see their website pop up.  Second only to my joy when I learned that they have the same menu today as they had 40 years ago.

We could probably hit the Dells on our way home from Columbus.  Although by that time we'll have been on the road for five or six days, and might just want to come home.  We may have to split it into two trips.  And invite Hubby's brother and family to join us at the Dells.  It's always fun to have them along.

2 comments:

  1. Omg...you had me with Sampson's lookalike!!! What a beautiful horse! And York Steak House...yummy!! I remember garlic toast tho...dangit! Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you remember it too! You'd like LHF too. Maybe you should come with us ...

    ReplyDelete