Thursday, December 31, 2020

Boxing Day

For those interested, here is the recipe I used for the sausage rolls.  Click the photo to zoom in.  I use pre-made puff pastry, found in the grocery store freezer section.

I like Boxing Day.  Having a pseudo-holiday after such a big real-time-holiday helps a bit with the post-Christmas blahs.  My mom would usually serve turkey divan with leftover Christmas turkey.  Since we didn't have turkey this year, we had my Mom's chicken wings for supper (see September 9).

I also enjoy the connection to my British heritage.  It's believed that Boxing Day began as a day to give to the poor, by going to church and putting money in the alms boxes.  But nowadays it's mainly celebrated as a shopping holiday in Europe.  Kinda like Black Friday is in the U.S.  Which is an ironic warp of meaning over time.

Since I don't go to church and I don't like shopping, I'll celebrate Boxing Day in my own fashion.  Enjoying a day off from work while hanging at home with Hubby and the boys.  And eating sausage rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment