Sunday, December 20, 2020

Decorating Part II

Besides the tree, we don't go overboard on holiday decorations in the house.  We have several strings of lights and garland scattered around, including one in each of the boys' bedrooms.  Another string hangs over our kitchen window.

 

We also have my Grandmother's Christmas runner on our kitchen table.  The candle carousel is in mid-assembly.  On Christmas Eve and Day we'll break out the holiday table cloths and napkins.

 
A new-old decoration this year is my parent's Christmas village.  My parents had this village for as long as I can remember - they may have brought it with them from Europe, where they lived until 1971.  At some point my mother gave it to me, knowing how much I loved it.  I'm not sure why I've never used it before, but this year I decided I would put it out.  
 
 
My parents would arrange this village on the console TV in the family room, on top of a layer of 'angel hair' or spun fiberglass.  It looked very pretty, but woe betide the unsuspecting child who tried to touch it.  That stuff stung like the dickens.
 
 
And of course, we have my Grandparent's Christmas bells.  This is another decoration I have up all year round, minus the garland.  Too pretty to pack away in a box for 11 months of the year.


Add to these a few wall hangings and Christmas candles, and that's the sum of our decorations.  Not too little, not too much, but juuuust right.  Goldilocks decorations.
 
Just five more days til Christmas, with no snow in the forecast.  Sigh.  Looks like we'll have a brown Christmas after all.  Hubby and I have been meal planning and list making, making sure we're prepared for our home-bound holiday.  We want to make sure nobody misses anything from other year's celebrations.  Well, besides the aunts and uncles and cousins.  But we'll be keeping as many traditions going as we can, and maybe add a few new ones.  

Just five more days!

3 comments:

  1. I wondered where those little houses went! I'd love to see them again when I visit next! They're from Germany and SUPER valuable! In other words, pack them away carefully and remember where you tuck them away so's I can peek at them again!!! Lol I'm so glad they weren't lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember Grandma's runner...something else to look at during my next visit! Maybe you should plan on keeping your decs up all year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom just stuck the houses in a plastic bag and handed them to me. Obviously she didn't realize how valuable they were!

    ReplyDelete