Sunday, October 18, 2020

For chokes and giggles

Just for giggles I dug up a couple of the sunchokes a few weeks ago.  And like I thought, it was very tough going in the very tough clay.  I didn't go very deep, just deep enough to get a few tubers.

There are several different kinds of sunchokes, or Jerusalum artichokes.  I have both white and purple varieties in my plot.  These are the white.

From a 15" square, I dug out this many chokes.  I probably would have gotten twice this many if: a) they hadn't been grown in clay soil, and b) I hadn't ignored the plot for the last four years.  

Another thing to note - sunchokes do not store well.  I brought these into the house and put them in a paper bag in my kitchen.  Two days later they were brown and squishy.  Best to keep them in the ground until you're ready to use them.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right now, nothing! Hahaha. But normally we would roast them with some oil and salt. Or maybe fry them up on a skillet. They taste like sunflower seeds! And make you fart a lot!

      Delete