Saturday, October 10, 2020

A bean of a different color

I planted two types of beans this year.  Before selecting my varieties, I did a bit of research and learned that runner beans wouldn't cross with common snap beans.  So I chose Dutch half runner and Monte Gusto wax.  I could grow both of them in the same bed and not worry about cross pollination.  The saved seeds would breed true.

Monte Gusto seeds from Johnny's

I figured that since the wax bean pods were yellow and the half-runners were green, I would be able to tell them apart when it came time to collect seed.  Easy peasy, right? 

Stock photo of Dutch half runners

Wrong!  I didn't consider the fact that the green runner beans would turn yellow when they dried out at the end of the season.  So a few weeks ago when I looked at my bean trellis and saw only yellow pods I panicked a bit, thinking that I wouldn't be able to tell the beans apart.

There was nothing I could do at that point, however.  Last week I picked several dried beans and brought them inside.  When I started shelling, I realized I needn't have worried.  Sometimes I'm a little dense.

However, I've done a bit more research recently and have discovered that it is possible for runner beans to cross with common beans, if they are planted next to each other.  Hmm.  Growing these out and looking for potential hybrids may be interesting.  I'd have to pay attention to where the cotyledons grew on the stem - runner bean cotyledons grow just above the planted seed, and common bean cotyledons are several inches above.  


Even if I did get a few hybrid seeds, stabilizing the hybrid would be challenging - numerous seasons of growing and culling to weed out the undesirables.  It takes a lot of work.

Since neither of these varieties did well for me this year, I don't think I'll bother.  I grow for pleasure, production and seed saving, not for genetic experimentation.  So I'll separate these beans by their different colors, with a note about possible crossing marked on the envelope.  

I'm always learning new things about gardening, even after twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment