Thursday, October 1, 2020

Cukes


I let a number of cucumbers grow well beyond their sell-by date, for seed saving.  The longer on the vine, the more viable seeds they'll have.


I save cucumber seeds the same way I save tomato seeds.  The goo and seeds go in a cup and stay covered in a warm spot for a few days.  When there's a nice film of mold on top, it's ready to clean.  This variety was named 'Bushy' and was sold by Seed Savers.  The name is deceptive - the plants were not bushy.  They grew just like normal cucumbers, with long trailing vines.

They gave a decent harvest, but nothing spectacular.  The fruit tended to fatten first and lengthen later, which isn't good for pickling.  If I grow cucumbers next year I think I'll try another variety.  Let me know if anyone wants to try this one - I'll send you some seeds.  I'll have lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment