Monday, June 27, 2022

Gardenfest

As part of my Master Gardener duties, I volunteered to help out with Gardenfest - the city garden tour put on by our county's MG group.  Five gardens are selected for the tour which was held last Thursday evening.  I was stationed at one of the homes, greeting visitors and signing their tickets.  On Tuesday we had a pre-tour visit at all five gardens.  Here's a few photos I took along the way.

I might get a birdbath just so I can plant moss roses in it

After seeing these immaculate, weed-free (mostly) beautiful creations I was humbled and shamed.  My own garden is full of weeds, and the wild vegetation around my house could hide Sleeping Beauty's castle.  Ugh. 

I loved the rough stone design of this garden

I have the next three days off.  I am resolved to get rid of the weeds in my raised beds.  I have asked for Hubby's help, and he has foolishly agreed.  If we get control of the raised bed situation, then we can move on to the landscaping in the yard.

Picture perfect

We haven't had any measurable rain for two weeks now, and Hubby and I have spent at least an hour watering the beds every other day.  The heat is relentless, as are the gnats.  

Sweet William flowers.  Must get some seed.

We're still picking strawberries every few days.  And my lettuce is finally ready for harvesting.  Maybe I'll broil some chicken and make a strawberry chicken salad tomorrow.  With pecans and feta cheese.  That sounds tasty.

Such beautiful brassicas

For Gardenfest, the home where I was stationed had both a flower patch and a vege patch (above).  It was owned by a cheerful couple, Denise and Mark.  Lovely people.  Denise tended the flowers and Mark tended the veges.  In the course of our pre-tour conversations I learned Mark was a big fan of radishes - he succession planted from early spring to early fall.  So on Thursday I brought a packet of Daikon radish seeds that I had saved from my 2021 garden.  I hope they grow well for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment