Thursday, December 31, 2020

Highlights

Yeah, it's been awhile.  Oh well.  Sometimes when a bunch of time passes between posts I get stressed out trying to capture everything that happened during the lapse.  Well, I decided I don't want to be stressed with this blog.  If I get stressed, it stops being fun and I won't do it.  So I'm not gonna try.  I'll summarize things, hit some of the highlights and move on.


Summary:  We had a grand Christmas.  O and E spent several days with us, and we did a lot of stuff.

Highlights:  

Blizzard! On December 23 we got hit by a blizzard.  We only got about six inches of snow, but when the snowfall is accompanied by 35 mph winds, it turns into a blizzard.  We were shut in for about 24 hours before things settled down enough for the plows to come out. 

Snowy cobwebs on the porch.  So pretty.

The lights flickered on and off a few times, leading me to spend an hour or so making sure our flashlights had fresh batteries and candles were on hand.  But the power stayed on, thank goodness.  Here's a quick vid my hubby took while shoveling out the driveway.

Cookies!  I made sugar cookies, and the kids (all in their teens) decorated them.  Each got a tray of cookies, and each chose their cookies' shapes from our vast supply of cutters.

Every year the same cutter is the most popular - the axe.  They are boys, remember.

Gift opening!  On Christmas Eve Santa filled and distributed stockings to sleeping children.  Daniel helped in his own unique way.

And on Christmas morning we all gathered around and opened gifts.  I must have been good this year, as I received several gift certificates for garden seeds.  Hooray!

O is wielding his new kitchen knife. 
 

Santa doesn't like his picture being taken.

And of course, food!  So many good things were cooked and eaten.  Some of our traditional Xmas foods such as deviled eggs, scones, Christmas punch, and Mom's egg bake.  

Currant scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam.  Heaven.

This year we introduced several new foods including potato latkes, dulce de leche cake, taco hotdish, and Cajun chicken pasta.  Hubby and Owen did most of the cooking.  But I made sure to cook one of my favorites, Boxing Day sausage rolls.

So greasy, so tasty.

So, all in all, a wonderful holiday.  And we've another holiday coming up - tomorrow is New Years Eve!  We have no plans for the last night of the year, which is just how we like it.  Big parties are rarely worth the effort, much better to have a quiet and reflective night at home with family.  Here's to a better 2021!

1 comment: